- Radio Science
- Planetary Exploration
- Electromagnetic Theory
Specific Research Interests
- B.E.E., George Washington University
- M.S., Stanford University
- Ph.D., Stanford University
- Radar astronomy
- Development of space radio science for planetary exploration, especially atmospheres, surfaces and rings
- Celestial mechanics and general relativity
- On Stanford faculty since 1957 (on research staff since 1952).
- Member: National Academy of Engineering; Fellow of IEEE; AAS, COSPAR,
AGU, IAU, URSI.
- Director of Watkins Johnson Co.
- Principal or Co-Investigator on space flight experiments Marinver V
(Venus), Mariner IV (Mars), Viking (Mars), Pioneers 6-9 (Interplanetary
medium), Voyagers 1, 2 (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune), Galileo
(Jupiter), and several lunar missions including Apollo
- Author of over 100 scientific and technical papers and chapters in
- George Washington University Engineering Alumni and Alumni
Achievement Awards (1974, 1975)
- NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement